Transport of crops is increasing. Square bales play an important role, as they enable efficient logistics and crop handling. “The effectiveness of machines is becoming more and more important and producing perfect bales under all circumstances is crucial”, says Kees van Hooijdonk, Factory Product Manager. “We designed this range of large square balers with exactly those customers’ needs in mind by complimenting the proven KUHN features with well thought out and innovative solutions.”
A suitable SB model for every challenge
The SB series consists of four models: SB 890, SB 1270 X, SB 1290 and SB 1290 iD, producing 80 x 90 cm, 120 x 70 cm and 120 x 90 cm bales respectively. The SB 890, SB 1270 X and SB 1290 perform at the top level in all crop conditions. The SB 1290 iD provides the highest density bale, even in the most challenging circumstances.
High intake capacity
Intake capacity is one of the most important factors in profitability. That is why the SB series balers feature an improved crop intake system. The newly designed crop guard, in combination with a torque increase on the rotor and on the feeder fork driveline, ensures up to 15% higher intake capacity with increased endurance properties.
A perfect balance between capacity and density
The KUHN patented* torque regulation system on all SB series models ensures a perfect balance between capacity and density. The crank angle position sensor and plunger rod load pins measure the total machine load. Precise machine load measurements are performed throughout the complete plunger cycle. The benefit of this sophisticated measuring method is that extra bale weight can be achieved. This results in a higher transport and handling efficiency.
Smart design for more user convenience
Designed by KUHN, made by KUHN is what characterises this range. The new design offers perfect accessibility to the inside of the machine during daily inspection and maintenance. For more safety, the knotter deck is equipped with solid stairs and a safety railing. Moreover, the driver can benefit from optimal comfort thanks to the heavy flywheel, the load sensing hydraulics and the torque regulation system.
Other machine characteristics of the SB series:
SB 1290 iD: extreme high density baling
For extreme high density baling, in both conventional crop production and the most challenging energy crop environments, the SB 1290 iD model is the solution. This baler produces square bales with up to 25% higher bale density than conventional 120 x 90 balers. At the centre of this is the KUHN patented* TWINPACT double plunger system that ensures intelligent, efficient bale compaction whilst avoiding high peak loads on the machine. Despite the heavier bales, the load on the machine is comparable with a conventional 120 x 90 baler, eliminating the need for an oversized driveline, flywheel and mainframe.
- All SB models are equipped with the proven KUHN invented INTEGRAL ROTOR for the best possible crop flow. All rotor types feature boltable rotor tines made out of Hardox® wear plate offering excellent durability and easy exchange.
- An active pre-chamber filling mechanism (POWER DENSITY) with a newly designed mechanical feeder fork steering system for producing evenly shaped bales.
- A double knotter binding system with standard electronic twine monitoring adapted for extremely dense bales.
- All SB models are fully ISOBUS compatible with an intuitive user interface, easy to control via the ISOBUS terminal of the tractor or via KUHN’s CCI 50 / CCI 1200 terminals
- The SB models are fitted as standard with a load sensing hydraulic system. This system is used for axle locking, knife steering, roller chute and bale ejector functionalities.
*Patent or patent pending in one or several countries.